St Stephen Church cornerstone at St Elizabeth of Hungary Church
|St Stephen Church Cornerstone Dedication|
St Elizabeth of Hungary Church
9016 Buckeye Rd. Cleveland
August 20, 2020Cleveland’s newest Hungarian monument to St. Stephen, the first King of Hungary, is a cornerstone saved from the recently demolished St. Stephen Hungarian Church in McKeesport, Pennsylvania (1900-2020). The cornerstone was brought to the historic St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church at 9016 Buckeye Road in Cleveland Ohio which was established on December 11, 1892, the date of the first Mass. The cornerstone was laid on June 4, 1893.
The Church and the United Hungarian Societies (UHS) of Cleveland hosted an outdoor dedication of the monument in the Church’s courtyard.
Dr. Endre Szentkiralyi served as MC
The theme of the dedication ceremony was “Honoring our past by remembering St. Stephen’s Catholic Church of McKeesport. “America’s first Hungarian Roman Catholic churches in order of cornerstone-laying Dr. Endre Szentkiralyi, president of the UHS, served as Master of Ceremonies. He welcomed the crowd and led the national anthem.
He then introduced Rev. Richard Bona who blessed the cornerstone.
Rev. Richard Bona
Reverend Bona spoke in Hungarian.
Rev. Richard Bona
Endre introduced UHS recording secretary Nicholas Boros who was instrumental in saving the monument. Mr. Boros spoke in Hungarian.
Near the end of his remarks, Nicholas Boros spoke in English.
United Hungarian Societies (UHS) of Cleveland Vice President Judy Gyorky recited a poem in Hungarian about St. Stephen, the first King of Hungary.
Dr. Endre Szentkiralyi then introduced Consul General Dr. Zita Bencsik from Chicago.
Dr. Zita Bencsik
This was followed by the Himnusz, Hungarian anthem, and the conclusion of the program.
Read the whole article: http://www.clevelandpeople.com/groups/hungarian/2020/st-stephen-cornerstone.htm